Friday, November 28, 2008

Childhood Memories

Tuesday, Dana and I were sitting on the couch talking and I noticed a small container of Play-doh sitting between us. I opened it up to smell it. (I love the smell of play-doh. Well, maybe not love, but you get the idea. It's a very comforting smell that takes me back to my childhood.) I replaced the cap and put it back on the couch. I was surprised when Dana picked it up, continuing his conversation with me, opened it, smelled it and put it back on the couch. Neither of us said a word about it. So although Dana claims to not like the smell of play-doh, I have a sneaking suspicion that he feels the same way as I do when he smells it.

Later that night, I was picking up one of Katie's many school boxes full of crayons. I shut the lid and noticed it was not latching correctly. I opened it to correct the problem, then quickly closed it. When I did this, I got a quick burst of the smell of crayons. Mr. Douglas, my grade school art teacher, popped into my head. I can still see him drinking coffee from the cup he made on the pottery wheel, complete with a moustache protector. Mr. Douglas had a pretty big moustache and he made a piece that went inside his mugs to keep his moustache from getting wet. Remember, it was the late 70's when I was in grade school. And we all thought Mr. Douglas was the coolest!!

Wednesday night, Katie and I were making pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. If you've ever made a pumpkin pie, you'll know what I'm talking about here. When you are pouring in the evaporated milk, it will actually pour through the pumpkin and then rise to the surface as you stir it. It's really cool and you get a neat swirling, kind of tie dye effect until it all mixes together. I remember making pies with my mom when I was a kid and watching the milk mix in with the pumpkin.

Ah, memories. . .

No comments: