Thursday, November 13, 2008

Extra Credit Kleenex

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was in school and you did something for extra credit, you actually DID something for extra credit. Like write a paper or do some extra homework. But not anymore!! Must be some strange clause in "No child left behind." (I won't get into that today. . . that's for another post.)

Earlier in the year Cassidy told me that he could bring in poster board for one of his teacher's for extra credit. I asked if they needed it for a project and his answer was that his teacher was out of poster board and needed it for her classroom. . . . .OK . . . So I told him that if he wanted the extra credit, he was going to buy the poster board. I certainly wasn't going to buy his grade for him. And he did.

So he texts me yesterday and informs me that he can bring in 3 boxes of Kleenex for extra credit in another class. He could use the points, so I imagine I'll pick some up today after work. But he's going to pay me for it.

So I guess we're teaching our children that you don't have to work hard for a better grade, you just have to help supply your teacher's classroom. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this??

Gosh, I sure wish I could get some extra $$ in my paycheck by bringing in some toilet paper, or something.

1 comment:

Janice said...

So...if you're dumb and poor, you're screwed?