Monday, January 11, 2010

Green Rant

I work with an individual that goes out to their vehicle every day for lunch. Rain, shine, hot, cold, doesn't matter. And while I can relate to wanting to get away from your desk for an hour each day, I do have a problem with running your vehicle for an extra hour. How many extra pounds of carbon dioxide are going up into our atmosphere at this very moment? Compounded over a year . . . 2 years . . .more?

Now I know I'm not perfect, but I do what I can for the environment. Even if you think changing your lightbulbs won't make a difference in a country of over 300 billion, wouldn't you rather be part of the solution and not part of the problem?

I would.

That's why if I go out to my car in the summer and it's hot, I either sweat, or come back inside. I don't go out there when it's cold. If I can pick something up on the way home, I'll do that instead of going out during lunch. Whenever possible, I double side my documents at work. I run the washer and dishwasher only when they're completely full. (This drives Dana nuts!) I use my cruise control. I turn off my computer every night when I leave work. (I should hit the power strip "kill" switch, too.) I use re-usable bags at the grocery store and feel really guitly each time I happen to come home with a plastic one. I unplug my phone charger when I'm not using it. (Did I remember to do that this morning?)

Just a few simple little things. And if we all did these, imagine the difference it would make. Try to do one simple thing this year to help our world. Maybe two or three. I know I will.

1 comment:

Bobby X. said...

Make it an HR policy. No car running in lot. Its part of a green initative.