Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Greatest Spectacle in Racing - Part II - Staking Your Claim

We arrive just as I thought we would at 4:30 (5:30 Eastern). There is zero traffic and we get to the house we park at in no time flat. The house is literally across the street and one parking lot down from the gate near turn 4 where we sit. However, they are not yet up. So we wait.

If you know Dana, you know he's getting antsy. He finally decides around 5:45 that he's going to send me and the kids to get in line and he'll come after us. Off we go with everything in tow except one cooler. (Dana got off easy.) We get in line and must fourth or fifth. Here we are with all this stuff and the guy behind me comments on it. Yeah, I like to come prepared. It was just him and his son, and they didn't have much. I don't know what it was, but there was a loud "BOOM" and I said, "Must be 6:00!"

In we go and off to stake our claim. After we get out of the tunnel we head toward the hill in the straigh away out of turn 4. The guy that was behind us is there and asks if you can see very well there. I said "Not really, but it's easy to get out." There were only about 4 people set up, so we got our spot right in front of the big screen. Dana showed up just a few minutes later.

Only 7 hours till the race starts. . .

No comments: